Monday, August 14, 2017

100 Days Of The King - Day 86


Jack Kirby had a real knack at presenting images which could scare you. This full-page drawing from Forever People #4  is the one that bothers me the most. The lurid sadism evident in the face of Desaad is as scary as anything I've seen in a comic book ever. His evident desire to extract both fear and pain from the Beautiful Dreamer makes my skin crawl every time I see it. Maybe it's the way he caresses her throat with his crop or perhaps the way her eyes are open but appear unseeing and helpless, but this is one damn frightening image.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I never found this page scary at all. In fact, it was a bit of a 'turn on' to my 14 year-old self. That gravity-defying bosom of Beautiful Dreamer - wow! (Not a great drawing of her, it has to be said. Her breasts seem to start from below her neck.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different strokes and all that. But her utter helpless, Desaad's cold demeanor work together to send a cringe up my spine. This seems to be that classic clash (bond) between sex and power and the very nature of consent.

      Rip Off

      Delete