Saturday, September 20, 2014

A Christmas Miracle!


I know what I want for Christmas. This second awesome volume featuring Jack"King" Kirby's original artwork from the Fourth World series hits the racks in the second week of December, just in time for the holiday shopping season. Often when asked, I'm uncertain what I might want under the tree come Christmas morning, but not this year. I want my very own Christmas miracle unleashed and ready for enjoyment.

And given that Scott Free was a son sacrificed by his Father to bring about peace, it's an appropriate story for the season. You tell me "Mister Miracle" ain't "crucified" on nearly every cover. Hosanna!

Here the issues contained in this opus, one of the greatest stories Kirby ever told.








Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I thought "Himon" was the highlight of the series, and a classic comic all around.
    A very intensely personal piece of work. My impression was that Himon was Kirby's older self, a magician, a wizard, while Scott Free represented a young Jack Kirby.
    I think he kind of did the same thing with Ransak the Reject and Karkas.
    Who wouldn't want to travel time and communicate and mentor their younger selves?
    It's apparent from "Himon" that Kirby felt very much at odds with the limitations of the comic industry, but I think it was also inspired by his youth in a rough neighborhood and his experiences in the war.
    He was an interesting man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd put the "Himon" story just behind "The Pact", but it's clearly one most dear to Kirby himself. It was these "secret origin" stories that really showed how the Fourth World was different.

      Rip Off

      Delete