Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Savage Worlds!


I picked up Pure Imagination's Roy G. Kenkel Savage Worlds yesterday. This volume has been calling my name for at least a year. The particular copy I picked had some small damage to the back cover so I got it for half price, and that seems fair. The collection gathers a few hundred of Krenkel's elaborate drawings from the many publications he decorated.

The black and white material looks fantastic, presented larger than the original formats often allowed. There is of course a bunch of Edgar Rice Burroughs material (Tarzan, Pellucidar, Venus, Mars, etc.), Philip Jose Farmer's Hadon of Opar stories, Robert E. Howard's Sowers of Thunder,  lots of pulp illustrations, and material even for Frank Baum's The Wizard of Oz.  The hold up on this collection is that the great covers are reproduced in mere black and white and gray (save for the cover seen above), a major problem. It's nice to have that lush art in some tangible form, but it would be better to have it in its full colorful glory.

It's a worthy addition for the price I paid, but I can't recommend it unless you find a similar discount.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment