Saturday, September 1, 2012

Keep Them Dogies Rollin'!


I have to say that Clint Eastwood's spectacular appearance at the recently completed Republican National Convention has captured the popular imagination. I first heard the bizarre diatribe on the radio driving home and came in on the middle not knowing it was Mr.Eastwood who was blathering on.

I'll confess the irascible old coot made a few good points here and there, even though I support the President, but I did find the whole of this off-the-cuff avante garde mini-drama to be a tad in poor taste and more than a trifle weird. Rambling on as he did, Clint undercut his own message, one not without some few merits. It's like nothing I've ever seen on TV before, I'll give him that.

I can't think of Clint Eastwood though, without remembering him young, handsome and full of vigor playing Rowdy Yates on the classic TV western Rawhide. Below is the classic theme song by Frankie Lane.


RAWHIDE

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

Keep movin', movin', movin',
Though they're disapprovin',
Keep them dogies movin' Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em,
Just rope and throw and grab 'em,
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
Boy my heart's calculatin'
My true love will be waitin', be waiting at the end of my ride.

Move 'em on, head 'em up,
Head 'em up, move 'em out,
Move 'em on, head 'em out Rawhide!
Set 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, let 'em out,
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in Rawhide.

Full Lyrics

Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Rawhide!

Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them dogies rollin'
Rawhide!
Rain and wind and weather
Hell-bent for leather
Wishin' my gal was by my side.
All the things I'm missin',
Good vittles, love, and kissin',
Are waiting at the end of my ride

CHORUS
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Rawhide
Count 'em out, ride 'em in,
Ride 'em in, count 'em out,
Count 'em out, ride 'em in
Rawhide!

Keep movin', movin', movin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them dogies movin'
Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope, throw, and brand 'em
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
My hearts calculatin'
My true love will be waitin',
Be waitin' at the end of my ride.

Rawhide!
Rawhide!


I have to say though after listening to those lyrics again, I can't think of a better song to characterize a political convention. "Don't try to understand 'em" covers a lot of what I heard this week, and likely will hear next. "Keep them dogies rolllin'" right on to the polls. (But be sure to bring I.D.)

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. After that bizarre (and factually-inaccurate) bit of performance art, I seriously hoped Clint was promoting his new film about a mentally-deteriorating old codger, and not off his meds.
    From his idea that Obama would use obscenity in public (hell, Barack has trouble raising his voice in anger), to blaming our current involvement in wars started by Bush (and Obama is trying to extricate America from), I didin't hear a single factually-accurate statement from a man whose work both in front of and behind the camera I've enjoyed for decades!
    But he did prove one thing true: the only debate Republicans can win is against an empty chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Eastwood segment is all over the news, but I can't bear to watch it. The last person I really want to see crash and burn is Clint Eastwood--and by all accounts, his appearance at the convention fit that description. It's going to be an odd footnote to such a distinguished career; and coming at this point in his life, it may regrettably be what's remembered above his work.

    ReplyDelete