Sunday, June 24, 2012

Tarzan And The Black Art!


The famous "Black Edition" of the Tarzan novels from Ballantine feature some outstanding artwork of the Ape Man from Neal Adams. I featured the covers on this blog some time ago here. The art Adams produced for the tenth novel, Tarzan and the Ant Men was not used by Ballantine.

Above are some spectacular scans of that Adams artwork from the portfolios which were derived from this artwork. I'm lucky to have those three sets in my craven mitts. They are outstanding examples of what Neal Adams could do in his prime. He captures the savagery of the ERB's Ape Man better than anyone even the great Joe Kubert. And more subtly his use of light can be most effective, giving the compositions a translucent look in places.














Spectacular!

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing these on these stands when I was a kid.This is some of Adam's finest work ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to agree. The essence of the Ape Man is there.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete