Friday, May 4, 2012

The Avengers - A Novel Idea!


Here is one of my all-time favorite Avengers images, and I cannot find out who the artist is. One source says it might be Robert McGinnis, but others suggest the artist is unknown. Does anyone know for sure?


The companion novel featuring Captain America is another outstanding cover, this one is reputedly by Mitchell Hooks according to some sources and Lou Feck according to others. Anyone know for sure?

Both of these novels, the Avengers by Otto Binder and the Cap by Ted White have virtues, though as I recollect neither reflects the Avengers exactly as we know and love them precisely as they are in the comics. It's been many years since I read these.

They are lovely objects nonetheless though.

UPDATE: Thanks to info from some kind fellows the artists have been identified. Robert McGinnis is confirmed as the artist on the Avengers cover and Peter Caras is the artist on the Cap cover. Thanks guys!

Rip Off

8 comments:

  1. the Avengers one's definately Robert McGinnis. the Captain America one I can't say for sure, but it doesn't look like Lou Feck, to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the McGinnis identification. I think that one has a Steranko feel to though obviously it's not him.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Captain America cover looks more like Peter Caras, who did the first few The Avenger covers before George Gross took over for the remainder of the series.
    Look at the cover to The Avenger #1 "Justice Inc." http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wUnHBVqgL._SS500_.jpg and note, especially, the way the shadowed areas blend into the background.
    (Caras also did three of the four Spider covers for the 1960s Berkley run.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Britt for the Caras tip. Not an artist I know a lot about. I'll check it out.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the novels! I also had Captain America, as well as The Avengers, too. I think they chose the characters they did, because they wanted to keep the stories as "realistic" as humanly possible. Thus, Giant-Man was in there, but NOT Quicksilver or Scarlet Witch.

    I DID like how they put some limits on Captain America, too. He was able to lift greater weights than in the comics, but it'd eat away at his body. I think he lost seven pounds of body mass after doing some heavy lifting early on in the book.

    It's been about 30-some years since I'd read either one, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dig the groovy Doc Savage-esque logo on the Avengers cover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Cap cover is by illustrator Mitchell Hooks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Captain America is MOST definitely Mitchell Hooks

    ReplyDelete