Sunday, April 15, 2012

Conan The Fantastic!


This wonderful cover by Jeff Jones and the issue of Fantastic magazine it decorates was added to my collection several years ago. His rendering of the Cimmerian here is exotic and compelling.


These scans I stumbled across online, but they show the process the late artist used to create this somber portrait produced during Ted White's tenure as editor on Fantastic.


Jones was an artist of immense talent. These images are just more evidence.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I've seen the pencil one before, but not the completed painting, and I didn't know that it was supposed to be Conan. So! win-win there! I remember liking Jeff Jones a lot when I was a teenager, there was just the right air of sadness and mystery about his stuff to stir the smokey wannabee bohemian in me. I was working at a print shop as a runner for a while, and one of the printers run me off a print of the Solomon Kane cover he did, about A3 in size. I had it on the wall of everywhere I lived for many years, until it fell to pieces, literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved this painting since I first glommed it. I have the pencil as my desktop image right now and I have to say the elegance of the work really shines. Jones was a real talent.

    That Solomon Kane image (I think I know the one you mean) is quite awesome, might almost be the standard image for the character by now. I have that paperback around here somewhere.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete