Thursday, July 14, 2011

Gold Key's Kong!


Arguably my favorite all-time comic book is Gold Key's King Kong adaptation from 1968(which from the ad above came out on my birthday). I got hold of this version before I ever saw the movie, so it's this adaptation, truer to the novel than the movie which first informed my understanding of the greatest of apes.

But recently I've learned more about the men who created this often reprinted classic presentation. The writer was Gary Poole, a writer and editor at Gold Key. And the artist, who I've always thought was Alberto Giolitti, turns out to be mainly a member of his studio named Giovanni Ticci.


I've raved before about George Wilson's magnificent cover, but it's good to know at long last who produced of the best comic book stories underneath it.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. I will have to try and find this book. I never knew it existed until now, and I am a huge fan of the original film....and not the remakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It exists in multiple formats. In 1968 it came out in comic form I think and a larger format too at the time. For sure in 1976 it came out in a multitude of formats from a host of publishers from various countries as a tie in to the Kong remake.

    If you've read the novel, it's very true to that rendition of the story.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell me where you found out that Ticci did the bulk of the work? I'm curious since I own the original art, and have compared it to some Turok and Star Trek pages, and they all seem consistent to me.

    ReplyDelete