Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Yet Another Thor Review!


I went to see Thor yesterday.

I went to see an early showing and got what I wanted, a quiet viewing in a really good theater. The movie was entertaining and a solid effort by all involved. I give Marvel's newest flick a solid B+.

The movie offers up some splendid views of Asgard where the gods live, some fascinating views of Jotunheim where the Ice Giants live, and some rather restrained views of Earth where we live. The story on Earth is located exclusively in an isolated part of New Mexico, a small town to be exact which apparently is close to the spot the Bifrost connects with Earth.

There's some good solid action in this one, some outstanding effects, and even some good acting on occasion. Let me add some spoiler space and I'll have more to say.

SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT.


Jack Kirby

Let me start with the GOOD.

1. The pacing is excellent, throwing the story into a high gear instantly with clever use of flashbacks to make the whole thing hang together. This is a longer movie, but it's because it has a big story to tell.

2. The characters are neatly realized and I found Thor, Sif, Heimdall, Odin, and the Warriors Three recognizable variations on their comics selves. This was a good a adaptation of the classic comic.

3. I loved what they did with Loki, as he became a nicely untrustworthy but oddly charming character. I felt more for his situation than I ever did in the comics.

4. The Destroyer rocks!

5. Colm Feore as the Ice Giant king was fantastic!

6. Nice to see Hawkeye on the big screen!

Walt Simonson

Now to the MEDIOCRE.

1. The acting is uneven. Chris Hemsworth as Thor is satisfactory and he has a charming smile, but put in a scene with Stellan Skarsgard or Anthony Hopkins, he looks a bit out of place just a smidge. Hopkins was much or effective than I expected. It was nice to see that Skarsgard might be a factor in later flicks.

2. Asgard looks great, but unconvincing. I couldn't stop thinking of it as a special effect and not a place. It seemed a bit too video game-ish to me. Bifrost didn't work for me at all. It's more Boom Tube than bridge.

3. I missed Balder, but admittedly there were already lots of characters to set up.

4. Stan's cameos are getting a wee bit weary, but this one is better than most.

John Buscema

Now to the BAD.

1. The movie lacks a proper ending. This is clearly part of the larger Marvel movie sequence leading to The Avengers and feels like it. It's impressive what they are trying to do with these flicks, but it makes the installments somewhat frustrating. It might be an intractable problem.

2. Thor needs to wear the helmet more. When he powers back up in the climax, the helmet needed to be there.

And that's it. I don't have much to hate on about this flick. It's a solid effort, entertaining and properly true to its materials. I recommend you see it.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment