Thursday, March 4, 2010

Superman Spectacular!


I didn't know this comic book existed until I stumbled across it at Mike Sterling's Progressive Ruin. You can check out what Mike says about this Bronze Age curiosity at this link.

So I don't buy hardly any DC these days, and I haven't bought a Superman story since that one-shot with artwork by Gil Kane and John Buscema, so this was a departure.

But the cover is so sweet and the format and stiff cover stock is neat. I like the fact there are no ads on the inside covers and the back cover is just a Superman symbol. This book is one of those oddities that doesn't fit well into a category. It's magazine size but the story inside could've appeared in any Superman comic of the time. The story and art are nothing spectacular, in fact they are distinctly mediocre.

But I do like Terra Man. I have a soft spot in my head for the "Space Cowboy" as it were. I know he strikes a lot of folks as ludicrous, but I find him odd and charming, if a trifle buffoonish.

Anyway, it's a strange little book and since I paid no more than I would've for a modern comic, I feel the entertainment-dollar ratio worked out about right.

Thanks Mike for the tip.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment