Friday, February 19, 2010

The Nightstand Chillers!


Did you ever stumble across a book and wonder why you did not all ready have a copy?

I did that the other day when I found The Nightstand Chillers from Vanguard Productions. It's a collection of stories and some few article by and about Pat Boyette, the late great comic artist who also dabbled in TV and movies.

I've seen this online before, but forgot about it. When I found it again the other day while doing some Charlton research, I discovered it had some vintage Charlton stories in addition to other things. I immediately craved a copy and found it at Amazon. I bookmarked it, planning to get a copy soon.

Well a friend wanted to head up the local comics shop and despite the fact nothing new was in that I wanted I tagged along. While prowling the back issues I remembered the Boyette volume and looked for it. Ta-Da! I found a copy for cover and scarfed it up. It's pretty sweet, with B&W reprints of Boyette stories (a format he is actually better in) and some few articles. The typesetting on some of the stuff is pretty lame and there's at least one glaring typo when a quote is attributed to a guy named "Gray Marrow". I can only assume that this is Gray Morrow and that spell check overwhelmed good sense here. (I have to say though, that Gray Marrow is a funky name.) How that boner gets into print is beyond me, but such is the nature of the small press.

I'm still sorting out where the stories originate from, as that info is not really forthcoming. There are in addition to stories some poster shots and spot illustrations. I spotted a page from Atlas-Seaboard's Weird Suspense and there's an image of Vampirella included. There's an interview with Boyette and a review of Dungeon of Harrow his horror movie, both very good and informative.

All in all a great tome for Charlton fanboys and especially for Boyette fans.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment