Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Flash Gordon By Boyette!








I finished up my Charlton Flash Gordon collection last week. I found the last few issues of that King Features licensed series so lusciously drawn by Pat Boyette. Boyette is often on lists of artists who are overlooked and I agree. His stylings were downright unique, his world evocative and distinctive. For a talent with his highly particular style to be given a franchise like Flash Gordon or The Phantom (which he also did after Jim Aparo left it) points to only one thing, Boyette could deliver the goods and on time.

I recently read a second-hand account quoting Pete Morisi saying he was denied The Phantom when Charlton got the rights in deference to Boyette, and the reason was reliablility and speed. Morisi was great, but he apparently was just a bit slower than the relentless printing presses of Charlton required, at least for higher-profile offerings like the King licenses. It's a shame, I'd have loved to see PAM on Phantom, but then I might've been denied Boyette.

And Boyette's Phantom and his Flash Gordon are quite good indeed. I've got some reading ahead of me.

For the record all of the above covers are by Boyette save for the debut of Flash Gordon at Charlton which features a Reed Crandall cover, a remainder of work done before Charlton got the license.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment