Sunday, August 23, 2009

Return To Camelot!


A friend came by yesterday and wanted to go shopping. I took him up on it, and we went to the local comics shop. He had quite a few back issues waiting on him to pluck through and I spent my time wandering around checking out the new stuff. It has been a few weeks since I was in and a few new covers graced the walls. But after it was all said and done, I only picked up one new comic they were holding for me (the Black Coat one-shot from Ape) and the Mark Schultz and Gary Gianni Prince Valiant tome.

It's a beaut. Gianni's artwork on this strip is stirring and lush. And the storyline is at once rich in characterization and exotic adventure. The rigor of a weekly strip affects the pacing necessarily, but you have to make concessions to a given format and adjust your expectations. Nonetheless this saga of Val and Arn away from Camelot among Vikings and Sea Monsters and Ancient Curses is a heady read.

I followed these adventures online several years ago as they ran, and it's a treat to get to see the few I missed and to have such great artwork on nice paper. Good stuff.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment