Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Secret Origin Of Wolverine!


I just got back from seeing the Wolverine movie at the local discount theater. It proved to be more entertaining really than I anticipated, though a heady familiarity with the previous X-Men movies is pretty critical to getting the endings. This is a prequel of course and as such is so tied into existing continuity that it's somewhat hamstrung as to its outcomes.

That said, they still made a pretty brisk and engaging movie with some very nice actions set pieces. The origin of Logan and his brother Creed is well handled in the beginning and sets up the break with Stryker's team as the set-up for the flick. There's some nice presentation of powers here, though admittedly the powers of most of the players are rather similar, quick fighters for the most part.

I liked seeing echoes of various comics I'd read, though I've been away from the mainstream X-Universe for a few decades now. Weapon X was very much in evidence, and I know enough about Deadpool to follow that stuff. Agent Zero, John Wraith, and Bolt are new to me. Gambit and Blob I know and they work pretty well. Hugh Jackman and Liev Schrieber do a dynamite job in their respective roles.

All in all it was a lot to absorb but I followed it mostly. Good movie, not great.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment