Friday, June 26, 2009

The Valley Of Gwangi!


The Valley of Gwangi is huge favorite of mine. Long before I'd ever get a chance to at last see the movie, the comic book was my source. The comic itself is nothing to get too excited about, featuring a fairly humdrum adaptation by Jack Sparling. Back then I got most of my movie news this way, by way of comics and MAD magazine. But I'm sure I bought the comic for the same reason I still treasure it, the outstanding cover artwork. It's the same art used on the movie posters, and it's perhaps the single most dramatic image of a dinosaur I've ever seen.

Now the "Gwangi" on this cover is far bigger than the actual dino in the flick, but that doesn't take away from the awesome power of this image. The Godzilla-sized Gwangi flicking his tale among stones and bones and a virtual army of fleeing cowboys, horses, and dames is a masterpiece. My question has been -- who is the artist?

The answer-- Frank McCarthy! McCarthy, who has since passed away was renowned as a western artist, but early on did many movie posters, many for the Bond films. But my favorite McCarthy piece will always be the truly awesome image of Gwangi.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment