Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Favorite Comic Book Cover Today #43 - Wizard Of OZ!


Remember when MGM's The Wizard of OZ was a big deal? Once a year we'd anticipate with glee getting to see all those wonderful fantasy characters again. We'd get to hear follow the yellow brick road and be charmed, entertained and frightened. It was a treat. Then we grew up, VHS became commonplace and the specialness of getting to see such things as this movie became less special, less thrilling. It's a pity really, but life and technology moves on. Now convenience has replaced patience and anticipation, possibly to the ultimate regret of most involved.

This comic was equally bizarre, a collaboration between DC and Marvel, unheard of at the time. A special comic book in a special size for a very special movie. I haven't read this comic, nor watched the original movie in years and years. I need to rectify both situations at the soonest possible juncture.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I skipped this DC/Marvel production at the time. I felt the only Oz anything for me was the MGM movie. Too bad I was so limiting in my tastes back then because I missed out on the book's many sequels.

    Another winning article, Rip. You placed me back to my childhood when I refused to get a splinter out of my hand until the first Oz commerical break. Yeah, I was climbing the wooden fences to keep me occupied until showtime.

    And like you, I have not watched Oz in many, many years- that is until last Jan. and it was via YouTube. I could not finish the original silent version, so I had to end my day on a high note by watching the MGM version.

    Spinner Rak request an article about Jason and the Argonauts. Both the myth and the movie with special effects by Ray H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of the movie, though I confess I've never seen the silent version. I'll have to check it out. Flying Monkeys were the scariest on TV for decades.

    Rip

    ReplyDelete