Friday, June 12, 2009

My Favorite Comic Book Cover Today #28 - Marvel Super-Heroes!


When I first started getting comics, Marvel was offering up really two universes, the then-current universe of 1968 and through reprint books like Marvel Tales and Marvel Collector's Item Classics vintage stuff from their early days. Fantasy Masterpieces was a real gem, giving us a range of material from Marvel's Golden Age and Atom Age past. Then it became "Marvel Super-Heroes" with its twelth issue and the debut of Captain Marvel a "showcase" for new characters. I loved this book. Along with reprints I got new stuff like Phantom Eagle, the Guardians of the Galaxy and even stories featuring Ka-Zar and Doc Doom. Then it changed again becoming a full-blown reprint book again, but this time featuring more "modern" material. This issue featuring Avengers #3 and X-Men #2 rocked me. I consider Avengers #3 the single best issue of that title's long run and X-Men #2 with the Vanisher is a great story. But it's this cover by Marie Severin and John Romita that really makes this issue a wonder. So many heroes, so little money. Wotta' bargain this was!

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment