Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Joe Of The Jungle!


Well that's the back issue comic book budget for the next few months!

Whew!

As I've reported I've been immersed in Tarzan movies this past week or so. They're great and I've a gaggle more to enjoy. That's the good news. Well here's the better news.During Free Comic Book Day I got my mitts on all three volumes of Tarzan the Joe Kubert Years and checked them out closely for the first time. I liked what I saw a lot and kept doing the math. Well the store was way too hectic that day to stand in line forever waiting to snatch them up, even at a significant discount. But later when I got home I checked out Amazon and found the volumes for a very nice price, better than the discounts in the stores. So I bit the bullet and sent for 'em. They arrived yesterday afternoon.

So along with great (and not-so-great) Tarzan flicks in the next few weeks, I'll be reading Kubert's masterful re-telling of the classic tales. Joe Kubert's version of the Apeman was a revelation to me. As slick and modern as Russ Manning's is, and I love it too, Kubert really got the essence of the ERB's hero onto paper in a no other has been able to duplicate. Foster's is outstanding, Buscema's is rugged, and Hogarth's is lush, but no artist blended the elements as effectively as Kubert did on his run.I have one word for it.

Yummy!

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment